Monday, August 15, 2011

Delta: YOU SUCK

Recently, one of my fellow natural parenting group mamas from Fayetteville had a horrendous experience on a Delta flight from Indiana back to NC. I'll post her story:

"I just got back last night from a small trip to see family in Indiana. I'd like to share what happened on the plane coming home. I boarded with my 8 month old, Nash and my husband. We waited until everyone was on until boarding so Nash woul...d spend less time on the plane. As soon as we got on he wanted to nurse and started fussing. I, like i always do, obliged and as discreetly as possible began nursing while my husband stowed away our carry-on(i was by the window and Nash was on my right side, not that it makes a difference). The stewardess then walked up and loudly told me i needed to cover up. I was shocked because i breastfeed on demand anywhere and everywhere and no one has ever said anything about it. I told her i would but i also told her that her telling me to do it was illegal. she said "no its not". I said "yes, actually it is" and my husband concurred. She then turned around towards the front of the cabin and loudly declares "This lady back here is trying to tell me its illegal for telling her to cover her NIPPLE while breastfeeding." At this point i'm shaking. i am extremely shy and non-confrontational. but i do know my rights. My husband quickly pulled up the law on his iphone and when she came back he offered to show her. She told us that Delta makes the rules and she would not look at the phone. She told me there is something called modesty! I went on a small tangent about how breastfeeding is natural, the healthiest thing for baby, and most of all NORMAL. She then said if we wanted to make it an issue we did not need to stay on the plane. We had not taken off yet and my hubby and i did not want to be kicked off so we let it go for then. During the flight she brought a packet of paper to the passengers behind us and we heard whispers and assume she was asking them to fill out a witness report of the incident. After the flight we got her ID number and name and will be filing our own claim against her. I was just shocked that no other mamas on the plane offered any help or even turned in our direction. :( Sorry this is so long i just still shake when describing what happened. I'm ashamed to say I was brought to tears after she walked away just from the embarrassment and lack of support from other women around me. She told us she had been doing this job for 8 years and it just makes me wonder how many other new mamas did she shame for breastfeeding their babies?"

To me, this is completely unacceptable. The flight attendant not only told her to cover herself, but proceeded to announce to the whole flight what the breastfeeding mama was doing as well as demean her in public. The attendant even went as far as to make comments that alluded that the attendant could have them taken off the plane. To me, demeaning a passenger and publically announcing whatever it is they are doing that you don't approve of is NEVER appropriate, much less for breastfeeding, which is a law protected act in many states, as well as the most natural way to feed a baby.
I'm not sure if delta understands the importance of breastfeeding a baby and the fact that nipples, in fact, do NOT show during feeding, but I think it's time that they educate their attendants on how they should speak to breastfeeding mamas, which is NOT AT ALL.
Apparently, this isn't even the first time Delta has treated a breastfeeding mama harshly.
That is a story from 2006 where mama was kicked off the plane.
Because of the way my breastfeeding friends have been treated, I will not ever be a patron of Delta again and I will see to it that my friends and family are not as well.
This is deplorable and should not be tolerated.
If you're reading this, do not fly Delta until they make serious changes to their policies (or lack of policies) for breastfed moms and babies!

11 comments:

  1. Breastfeeding is a federally protected act and public decency laws do not apply to any exposure of the breasts that occurs while nursing a baby. I will be spreading this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm trying to get the word out too. This is terrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two questions: do you know the mama personally, and does the News and Observer report on the Fayetteville area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) She is a mom from my parenting group here in Fayetteville.
    2) The Fayetteville Observer is our newspaper.

    The mama gave me all the flight info and stuff if someone else wants to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't clear if the group was online or real-life. I have a friend at the N&O but don't know anyone in Fayetteville. I may contact her anyway; I think this ought to make the news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The group has a lot of online discussions but has weekly playdates and several classes/groups per month on various NP stuff like CD, BF, BW...that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some moron wants to come tell me I can't breastfeed, I just may wait until letdown occurs and pull my baby off while facing said moron. LOL OOOPS my bad, did I just spray you with the most natural food there is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so horrible for her, but i would like to add that I flew Delta from Michigan to Texas and back to Michigan in May 2011 and the flight attendants were very nice. the boarding attendants were nice and gave us nice seats in the front and the back of the plane. A male attendant also came and took two really stinky diapers for us on the same flight. The one female flight attendant that was near us in the back of the plane smiled at me when i was breastfeeding. She asked if it was our first child and went on to tell me that she was pregnant and had lost a child previously.
    There are rude people everywhere that work for all different companies, they deserve to be fired or repremanded but I'm not sure if we can boycott every company when someone is rude to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not one to boycott companies, but people do need to be held accountable for their actions- in this case making a spectacle out of someone who was trying to discreetly feed her child and in no way hurting or bothering anyone. Something that she has the right to do by law. I think this attendant was misinformed and on a power trip of epic proportions. People being denied their right to NIP is probably the #1 breastfeeding news maker out there, I'm sure Delta would rather not get into THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marilyn-Someone actually made the news recently for doing that!

    Buffalo_mel- I agree. I think it really has to do with the flight attendant you get, it's just that Delta has a notoriously bad NIP record. I've seen a few NIP stories that were pleasant with Delta. I'm glad you had a good experience with them!!

    The Slacker Mom- I agree. I'm still a patron of Whole Foods even though a mom was told to cover up in ONE Whole Foods. I think what makes me anti-Delta is the fact that they're still having the same issues five years after they were sued under similar circumstances. Why can't people learn?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Believe me- I bang my head against the wall on this issue way too often. If we're going to hold breastfeeding up as the gold standard, people need to realize that this means they might see a woman nursing in public (gasp!). The disconnect boggles my mind. Last week the Breastfeeding Blog Hop was all about NIP, thankfully the Today Show's Savannah Guthrie put her foot in her mouth just in time for many to write posts about her obviously uninformed opinions on NIP (she compared it to urinating in public). http://www.theslackermom.com/2011/08/11/1094/

    Rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete