Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Housewife??

Two years ago, heck, even one year ago, if anyone had asked me if I would consider being a housewife, the answer would have unequivocally been NO... and yet, here I am writing this blog post with my one month old baby wrapped up on my chest.

...BABY? What?! Yep, that's right. My "five year plan" turned into "OMG! That test says 'PREGNANT' " in October of 2010. On June 11th of this year, my husband and I welcomed a gorgeous baby boy named Matthew into our lives. He's amazing! I'm so in love with him! :)

I was working as a nurse on a surgical floor full time plus (not always welcomed) overtime when I surprisingly got the big fat positive on a test. I continued working until I was 34 weeks pregnant. The job was taking a noticable toll on my pregnancy so I resigned and spent 6 weeks as a stay at home wife. I was counting down the days until I would be at our new duty station and I could start looking for a new nursing job. I was researching the best daycares for infants in our new area. Being at home 24/7 was making me crazy. I kept wondering how in the world stay at home moms found this enjoyable, then on my due date Matthew completely changed my mind. After looking at him, I knew I wanted to stay at home for as long as possible with him! It didn't matter that I went to school for what felt like 800 years to become a nurse and only did it for about 1.5 years. It didn't matter that our family income would decrease by more than half. All that mattered was looking at him and realizing I wanted to BE there....I wanted to make sure his life was the best it could possibly be.

It hasn't been without it's challenges so far. The only real challenge is learning how to budget on one income once more. It still needs a little, okay a LOT, of tweaking! Haha! It's day to day learning for me, but it's getting better. Being a mom in general has been super challenging! I couldn't imagine knowing I only had 12 weeks to get the hang of it before I'd have to come up with a whole new routine! Housework has gone by the wayside for the time being as has date night and spontaneous trips, but I couldn't imagine spending my days in a more rewarding way.

No comments:

Post a Comment